Saturday, December 1, 2007

Bounties of Media, Models of Major-Generals

So, at long, long last, almost all of the DVDs I need have arrived - Invincible Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Mighty Avengers, Fantastic Four and Silver Surfer, and Captain America. Naturally, the last was the first that I examined, particularly since it featured the assassination issue and the whole Winter Soldier storyline.

I've not read a lot of the Civil War, so the particulars of that story arc may have made Steve Roger's death even more poignant, but it was still powerfully affecting. Yeah, it's a comic, and yeah, it's all made up, but... it was still surprising to see something like that done well, let alone done at all. The good news is that I've got 40 years of issues to read now (and I can always start picking up the alternative reboot of Ultimates, too).

Reading the Winter Soldier storyline prior to the assassination issue certainly provided an interesting counterpoint to things. For anyone who didn't hear, Captain America's original sidekick, Bucky Barnes, was brought back from the shadowy depths of presumed death as a former Soviet super-assassin. (Naturally, this demolishes the tryptch of "No one stays dead in comics except for Jason Todd, Bucky Barnes, and Uncle Ben." Only Spidey's uncle remains in the realms of the undead, but I'm hoping that he'll end up as a herald of Galactus before long.) It was a good storyline - compelling reading, emotionally charged, and centred more on the story than on bang-slam action scenes.

As for the last two weeks - my plans for this weekend's library trip were dashed when I was signed up as a substitute Drama teacher at a local school after a family tragedy. It's been a lot of fun working with the students on their performance of "Pirates of Penzance," but it's also been pretty time-consuming. Heck, it's even taking up some evenings and weekend time - such as today. Speaking of which, I'd better get ready - time to get moving and help with some tech before the rehearsal begins this afternoon.

Library trip, though? Well, we'll see when it can be planned. If the library's open after Christmas, I might have to travel down there and spend a few days in the glorious quiet of a university library during the holidays...

[Edit - And now that I've been accepted for the CHA this year, I'll certainly have to be ready and set with whatever I proposed...]

No comments: